Thursday, April 11, 2013


Spring has sprung, or not?  Perhaps the temperatures will rise above 50 degrees and stay that way for more than a day.  Either way, we know that at some point the weather will be warmer and we will be out doors with our canine companions. The wet conditions make an excellent breeding opportunity for parasites and bacteria.  I have been seeing quite a few gastrointestinal infections this past month and they seem to be linked to the mush in our yards.  So best way to keep the pooches healthy is to simply wipe off dirty paws with baby wipes or give a quick wash in a bucket. This decreases the nasty junk brought into our homes and also provides a clean licking surface.

Pests, such as fleas and ticks, start to be a nuisance from here on out.  So best to apply topical products starting May 1st.  I use Frontline Plus and Certifect on my dog, Molly.  She is a beautiful Golden Retriever and so far has been tick free. That is the same reason why I use Heartgard Plus; it is the safest and most effective for preventing heartworm disease.  There was just another recall of a generic heartworm preventative that did not have enough of the active ingredient, so dogs could still get heartworm disease.  I am conservative with my recommendations due to 20 years of seeing issues that arise when pyrethrins are put on our pets. They are toxins and not safe.

                                        
Which reminds me of the fact that I have been a veterinarian for 20 years!!?? Wow, makes me feel old, definitely wiser and glad that I have the opportunity to do something every day that I LOVE…  We participate in several student programs and I usually have at least one student that wants to be a veterinarian. This is much easier said than done as they say.  With only 28 veterinary schools in the United States, there is fierce competition amongst applicants.  I tell students that concomitant with excellent grades they also need people skills.  Obviously, your pets cannot bring themselves into my office?  You wonderful pet owners cajole, drag and bribe your beloved creatures into my clinic and then we work together to solve their ailments. This is why I have developed the gift of gab, I can talk to just about any creature, 2 or 4 legged!

I recently spoke to my twin’s first grade class about being a veterinarian, all 74 little cuties.  As I was leaving, a boy that I have known since preschool said to me “I didn’t even know that you worked? Are you really a vet?” I was stunned quite frankly after speaking for 30 minutes to these kids and as I started to reply another girl said “My mom does not work”. That is when I gently told them that all moms work… We just simply have different roles.  Being a mom is the toughest job in the world.  Convenient with Mother’s Day right around the corner…

Well, enjoy the sunshine as it comes, use your leashes and hide your people treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment